Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Who You Are
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a Maintenance Inspector with experience working and complying with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations as well as a strong background in aircraft line maintenance, heavy maintenance and inspection. This position requires the person to have a strong willingness to provide support and guidance to the team through an objective disposition and “Can-Do” attitude while providing constructive criticism without being demeaning.
This is a full-time position at Virgin Galactic’s base of operations at Spaceport America / Las Cruces, New Mexico. This role also has potential to begin at Virgin Galactic’s Mojave, CA test flight facility.
This position functionally reports to the Chief Inspector but will take daily direction from the Maintenance Leadership team. This position is responsible for supporting the VG maintenance operation on a daily basis to for all maintenance work shifts to ensure compliance to regulatory, quality, manufacturer, and company requirements to ensure safe operations of the spaceline vehicles. This position will be providing day-to-day support of the maintenance team through inspections and hands-on assistance with maintenance execution activities. This position coordinates with vehicle maintenance, supply chain, engineering, GSE, facilities and flight operations to properly support all facets of the VG Technical Operations group. The Maintenance Inspector is expected to apply professional experience, knowledge, and guidance to help resolve complex problems.
• Perform daily inspections including compliance to the VG Required Inspection Items (RII) Program
• Provide dedicated inspection activities for VG flight vehicles as prescribed through the released work instructions
• Assist with air vehicle safety and airworthiness requirements including compliance to applicable FAA regulations
• Provide Training to Delegated Inspectors to include inspection techniques and criteria for inspections.
• Constantly Evaluate and Mentor Delegated Inspectors to ensure continued Compliance to Company and Regulatory Standards.
• Assist in developing Required Inspection Item (RII) Task cards.
• Assist in verification and validation of vehicle specific technical publications and training material as required
• Assist Maintenance team with on-vehicle maintenance
• Provide guidance and assistance to VG Tech Ops personnel on compliance and process requirements related to vehicle airworthiness
• Provide On-the-Job Training (OJT) for maintenance and inspection activities to maintenance personnel
• Must have High School diploma or GED
• Must have FAA Mechanic certification with Airframe & Powerplant ratings in accordance with 14 CFR Part 65, Subpart D
• Must have 10 years or more experience related to aviation maintenance
• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
• Must have knowledge of computers and software: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook
• Must have good working knowledge of FAA Regulation Parts 1 through 193
• Must be willing to relocate permanently to the Las Cruces, New Mexico area
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Experience as an aircraft inspector
• Be the holder of a FAA Inspection Authorization in accordance with 14 CFR §65.91 or able to obtain one if desired by the company
• Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field
• Experience in a leadership role with a FAA certificated MRO or operator (FAR Part 121, 135, 145)
*The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
• Must be highly organized and able to handle stressful situations
• Must be able to sit/stand for extended periods – 10 hours min.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VG and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.