Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Who you are:
Virgin Galactic is seeking an interiors engineer to join our operations engineering team. The successful candidate will be able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where strong communication and teaming skills are required to ensure mission requirements and spaceflight participant needs are met. Initial responsibilities will include the development of operational procedures and processes to maintain and re-configure cabin equipment, systems, components and furnishings to support mission and spaceflight participant requirements and needs. This role interacts with many key teams and spaceflight participants to ensure the functional and physical integration of Cabin Communication Systems, Camera Systems, Components, interior equipment and furnishings and payloads.
This position will be based in Las Cruces, New Mexico with support to Spaceport America for commercial operations.
• Develop, manage and maintain the interiors configuration for Spaceflight vehicles and the training module
• Develop the operational procedures and processes for maintaining and re-configuring of interior systems, components, furnishings and equipment
• Work with the OEM to develop interface definition for cabin interior components
• Provide support for payload hardware integration and development activities
• Produce and maintain system description documents, functional diagrams, and other operational documentation for seats, communication systems, camera systems, payloads electronics/electrical systems and other interior components
• Work closely with VG engineering, maintenance, flight operations and other departments to continuously improve systems, processes and operations related to interior components based on operational experience
• Develop requirements for storage and kitting of interiors equipment and furnishings and any necessary ground support equipment
• Perform reliability, maintainability, and safety assessments of interior components, configurations and modifications
• Provide SME input and dispositions for deferred maintenance items, non-routine items, necessary repairs and general troubleshooting related to interior components
• Manage inspection criteria and establish and maintain system and component health monitoring for interiors components and systems
• Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
• 2-5 + years of relevant industry experience is desired
• Practical experience working with aircraft and/or spacecraft interior components and systems is desired
• Experience in human systems integration, human factors and ergonomics is desired
• Experience in an operational and/or flight test environment is desired
• Strong IT skills, including familiarity with maintenance/reliability tracking software is highly desired
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
• Strong team player
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VG and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.